It’s easy to become discouraged when we encounter setbacks on the way to our goals. When we fall off the horse, it can often be hard to stay positive and try again. However, the only way we will ever finish the race is by getting back on and moving forward.
Here are a few ways to deal with setbacks optimistically when you feel doubt start to creep in. By training your mind to focus on these thoughts, you will begin to give yourself the motivation you need to keep taking steps toward your goal:
1. Remember the payoff: In times where you feel particularly down about your obstacles and setbacks, it’s a good idea to remind yourself of why you are reaching for this goal in the first place.
Why do you want it? How will you feel when you finally achieve it? Giving up on a dream is harder to do when you take a moment to remind yourself of the payoff.
2. See your setback as a lesson: Life is full of twists and turns, and you can rest assured that whatever setback you are experiencing in the moment is preparing you for another bend ahead in the road. Don’t see your setback as a failure, but rather as an opportunity to learn something you need to know to be successful in the future.
To really internalize this idea, look back into your past for old setbacks and see if you can identify how those struggles ultimately helped you get to where you are today.
3. Play the odds game: When you start to feel like your dream might not come true, look for evidence in the world that dreams come true all of the time!
How many people in history do you think have reached a goal that at first seemed impossible? How many times have you or someone you’ve known achieved a goal that was at first a long shot?
Before you chalk up a dream to be “impossible,” remind yourself of just how possible it is for any of us to achieve one.
4. Remember that all the fun is in the journey: Sure, you may really want to get that new job/home/relationship right this minute, but the excitement of getting it will start to die down once you have it! The process of getting to where you want to be (the searching, the dreaming and the planning) is really where the fun is.
For example, if you’re enjoying a good book, once you’re done with it the fun will be gone! The real excitement is always in the process, rather than the end game.
When you encounter a setback, tell yourself that this is the universe’s way of giving you more time to enjoy the journey.
5. Remind yourself that the longer it takes, the better it will be: Although we may think that we would like for all of our dreams to manifest right now, life would be pretty boring if everything we wanted materialized instantly. Without a challenge there is no feeling of victory.
When you are up against some hard obstacles, pat yourself on the back. You are working towards something that will make you feel like you are on top of the world when you finally achieve it!
6. Take ownership of your dream: Remember, this is YOUR dream. If anyone can achieve it, it’s you. You thought it up, and you’ve started moving in the direction of it. If it wasn’t possible, you never would have dreamt it up in the first place.
Remind yourself of this quote when you feel your confidence slipping: “If not us, who? If not now, when?”
Staying optimistic is the only way you will ever achieve a big dream. In times when you are feeling discouraged, you can gain a little perspective by focusing on these thoughts. By thinking positive, you will continue to move forward. Success will be imminent.
Remember, we all have dreams and we all experience setbacks. There’s nothing wrong with you and there’s no reason why you can’t get what you want out of life. Train your mind to face adversity with optimism, and you will become a person who can make any dream come true.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Andrea Schulman is a former high school psychology teacher and the creator of Raise Your Vibration Today, which provides free and easy Law of Attraction techniques. She will be available for group educational seminars and webinars starting in the summer of 2015.
Did you like this article? This article was sent into The Mind Unleashed as a contribution from Andrea. Find more like it on her blog or Facebook page! You can also find her on Twitter (@Vibration1111) or Instagram (@andrea.11.11).
©2015 The Mind Unleashed, Inc, all rights reserved. For permission to re-print this article contact [email protected] , or the respective author.
Featured image: Source
Since you're here…
…We have a favor to ask of you. We need your support to continue publishing as we do.. If just a small fraction of our visitors became subscribers, we'd have enough funding to stop running ads and reduce our dependence on big tech companies like Facebook and Google. Will you help make this a reality? Click here to learn more.