Scientists are baffled by a giant hole – the size of one of the Great Lakes – that has appeared on the surface of Antarctica. Holes in the ice happen all the time, but this massive void just showed up on satellites, and scientists have no clue what caused it.
Atmospheric physicist Kent Moore told Motherboard that the ice is thousands of kilometers from the ice edge. Moore stated, “We’re still trying to figure out what is going on. It looks like someone just punched a hole in the ice.” The hole measures 80,000 kilometers at its peak.
Though ice holes called polynias often form along the coastal areas of Antarctica, they don’t usually occur right in the middle of an icy landmass.
Curiously, another large polynia was observed in the same location in the 1970s, in Weddell Sea, according to Moore, who has been working with the Southern Ocean Carbon and Climate Observations and Modeling Group.
Along with the massive hole suddenly appearing, there have been numerous additional odd occurrences in Antarctica recently including:
- The “discovery” of a strange 14-mile long structure buried in the ice. One You-tuber commenting on the discovery said, “this thing is so huge, you could even see it from outer space.”
- A former US Naval officer, and UFO whistleblower, referred to as “Brian” tells the world that he saw an entrance to a secret alien base in Antarctica.
- A pyramid-shaped mountain found in the area is debunked as “not being a pyramid.”
- Strange visits to the continent by the Russian Orthodox Patriarch of Moscow, Kirill III, Prince Harry and the Royal Family, John Kerry purportedly to visit a secret Nazi base (unsubstantiated), Buzz Aldrin, who Tweeted, then deleted, “it was evil itself” just after his trip to Antarctica. Aldrin also had to be emergency air-lifted out of Antarctica.
- NASA discovers 91 volcanoes below Antarctica’s ice sheet.
- Mainstream scientists say that they’ve found “damned improbable” creatures, describing life that has adapted to Antarctica’s bitter cold, while others suggest even stranger life may have (or is currently living) there.
- Others claim Antarctica was once the famed, lost city of Atlantis.
This cold continent has captured the attention of conspiracy theorists, lost civilization theorists, ufologists, and alien hunters for years, and now Antarctica offers yet another anomaly. Some seem to think there is much more than some popsicle-shaped bacteria and a frozen lake lurking beneath all that snow.
(Featured Image: Image from MODIS-Aqua via NASA Worldview; sea ice contours from AMSR2 ASI via University of Bremen)