Living a healthy life is not just about eating well, exercise, connection with others and the thoughts you think and words you speak, it’s also about the environment you choose to be in.
With the home where many people spend much of their 24 hour day, it only makes sense for us to ensure we have a home that is as comfortable and toxin-free as possible. From the dish soaps and laundry detergents commonly used, to the air fresheners and candles, as well as the dental care and beauty products one chooses to use, there exists much cleaner, toxin-free and health-promoting alternatives.
A good rule of thumb to follow is this: If it has a commercial on TV, don’t buy it. Thought this isn’t true for every single product out there, it is for well over 95% of the products being sold through TV commercials. Big “name brand” companies like Tide and Downy, Glade, Crest Toothpaste, L’Oreal and the like all contain synthetically-created chemicals that the body cannot recognize and treats as a toxin, which then it must try to get rid of. Hence, our body quickly fills with toxins, which then can lead to all sort of ailments and even diseases and cancers. Because these products are mass produced, the ingredients, which are almost entirely made up of synthetically-created toxic chemicals, must be mass created and done very quickly to ensure customer demand can be met and ensure profit margins continue to increase. Sadly but truthfully, the quality and safety of the products are not of concern.
Clean Options Everywhere!
Fortunately though, there are many smaller companies out there that do care about the quality of the product and ensure the ingredients are not synthetically created and are ones that our body actually can recognize as safe and healthy. Below is a list of brands that are toxin-free and are ones that I recommend to look into.
- Candles: Avoid ones that use synthetic dyes and perfumes. Look for ones that are pure beeswax and that use essential oils for scent. Options can be Aloha Bay and Beeswax Candle Co.
- Dishsoap: Mrs. Meyes Clean Day, ECOS Dishmate
- Laundry Detergent: ECOS, Seventh Generation
- Air Fresheners: Try burning incense or diffusing essential oils. They have been scientifically studied to show that they actually clean the air of harmful bacteria (while keeping the good) and can have medicinal effects on the human body through their scent. Incense companies to look into are Fred Soll’s and Prasad Incense. Essential oils could be Aura Cacia or Floracopeia. Smelling essential oils is also great as a natural relaxant, stress-reliever, anti-depressant, alertness elevator and mood enhancer (depending on the specific oil).
- Deodorants are often filled with heavy metals which then easily pass into the body through the soft under-arm skin. Look into Weleda.
- Toothpastes and mouthwashes often contain fluoride, which is now scientifically-proven to be an extremely dangerous neurotoxin (in the same category as lead, mercury and arsenic) and potent cancer-causing chemical. Instead of Crest or the other well-known, but toxic brands, look into Uncle Harry’s toothpaste and Essential Oxygen’s mouthwash.
- For cosmetics and beauty products, look into Evan Healy Skincare. These are the cleanest skincare products out there for both men and women.
Lance Schuttler offers health and wellness coaching services through his website Orgonlight Health. You can follow the Orgonlight Health facebook page or visit the website for more information and other inspiring articles. Lance graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in Health Science.