Chicago Police “Livid” After All Charges Dropped Against Jussie Smollett

Update 3: Speaking from the Navy Pier, Area Central Detective Cmdr. Edward Wodnicki – who led the Smollett investigation, is reportedly livid that the case was dropped after they had spent over $10,000 in man hours building it.

Update 2: Smollett made a statement following the dismissal of 16 counts linked to the alleged staging of a hate crime hoax.

“I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one,” Smollett said, adding “this has been an incredibly difficult time. Actually, one of the worst in my entire life.”

Update: Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson is reportedly “furious” over the dropped charges, according to CBS Chicago‘s Charlie De Mar.

Meanwhile, ABC7‘s Rob Elgas reports that Chicago PD will respond to the Smollett news shortly.

***

Charges were dropped on Tuesday against Empire actor Jussie Smollett for disorderly conduct related to allegedly staging a fake hate crime attack and filing a false police report, according to the Chicago Tribune.

A grand jury slapped Smollett with 16 felony counts earlier this month for falsely reporting a hate crime, which his attorney Mark Geragos called “vindictive” and “prosecutorial overkill.”

According to reports, the state of Illinois filed the motion to dismiss the case, which the judge signed off on. The case has also been sealed, according to CBS Chicago‘s Charlie De Mar.

Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgment,” reads a statement from Smollett’s attorneys.

“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions,” the statement continues. “This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.”

There had been no clue that prosecutors planned the about-face move before the announcement. A publicist for Smollett’s attorney was the first to notify the news media Tuesday morning, issuing an alert that did not elaborate on the nature of the emergency.

The 36-year-old actor, who was free on $100,000 bond, has previously denied lying to police or faking the attack. –Chicago Tribune

Smollett maintains that he was the victim of a predawn hate crime on January 29 in which two men assaulted him while he was on his way home after buying a sandwich; hurling racial and antigay slurs at him, dousing him in a liquid, placing a noose around his neck (which he was still wearing when police arrived later that morning), and punching him in the face.

The incident sparked national outrage – with the left-leaning mainstream media and prominent Democrats uncritically supporting Smollett’s version of events; holding it up as a prime example of violent Donald Trump supporters.

Two suspects in the case, Nigerian-American brothers Ola and Abel Osundario – one of whom has been an extra on Empire, told police that Smollett paid them a combined $3,500 to stage the “attack,” and that the three of them had practiced it beforehand. They also said that Smollett was involved in creating a racist letter containing a white substance that was sent to the actor on the Chicago set of Empire.

Controversy erupted earlier this month when texts and emails released by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office revealed that Michelle Obama’s former Chief of Staff, Tina Tchen, attempted to have the case transferred to the FBI from the Chicago Police.

“Spoke to the Superintendent Johnson,” Foxx emailed Tchen on Feb. 1, in reference to Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson. “I convinced him to Reach out to FBI to ask that they take over the investigation.”

Foxx also texted with one of Smollett’s relatives whose name was redacted from the text release, saying: “Spoke to the superintendent earlier, he made the ask … Trying to figure out logistics. I’ll keep you posted.”

OMG this would be a huge victory” the family member texted back.

“I make no guarantees, but I’m trying” replied Foxx – who recused herself from the case on Feb. 20. 

Looks like none of that was necessary, as Smollett is now in the clear.


By Tyler Durden / Republished with permission / Zero Hedge

While you’re here…
…We have a tiny favor to ask of you. Government think tanks have teamed up with social media companies and Google to censor independent thought and government criticisms. The result has been catastrophic for the independent media. Despite this, The Mind Unleashed has survived without hiding our content behind a paywall, because we value open and accessible information for all. Hopefully we’re wrong, but without your help we're afraid big tech companies may make The Mind Unleashed algorithmically disappear from the Internet. Every contribution, big or small, will go directly into funding 100% independent journalism. You can help keep us going for as little as $1 and only a minute of your time. Thank you. Click here to support us

View Comments