Connect with us


CBS News Engineer Accidentally Trips on LSD for 9 Hours After Touching a 1960s Synth

Eliot Curtis accidentally went on a long acid trip while trying to repair a 1960s synth.



CBS Trips LSD 9 Hours
Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

An engineer in the San Francisco Bay Area accidentally went on a long trip while repairing an old-school 1960s synthesizer that had been partially coated in LSD.

Eliot Curtis, a Broadcast Operations Manager at local CBS station KPIX in San Francisco, had volunteered to work on repairing the Buchla Model 100, created by the late Berkeley-based synth pioneer Don Buchla.

Unbeknownst to Curtis, the synthesizer—which belonged to Cal State University East Bay and had been lying dormant in a classroom closet for years—was a psychedelic time capsule from the famous historic counterculture with the hidden ability to take him on a trippy journey.

According to KPIX, Curtis had set to work on fixing the machine when he noticed a mysterious crystalline substance underneath one of the knobs. When he attempted to clean the substance off with his finger and a solvent, he began experiencing a strange, tingling sensation. About 45 minutes later, the technician realized that he was experiencing the onset of a full-blown acid trip, which lasted about nine hours.

Curtis remarked:

“It was … [I] felt like I was tripping on LSD.”

According to KPIX, three tests confirmed that the crystalline substance was indeed LSD—or lysergic acid diethylamide—which has the capability to remain potent for years when stored in cool and dark places, much like the closet where the Buchla synth was stored.

The incident confirmed what had already long been an urban legend in the Bay Area music scene—that the late Buchla, famous for being an acid enthusiast, had been applying LSD to the surfaces of his “Red Panel” machines as a means to provide musicians with a bit of chemical inspiration if they so desired it.

Electronic musician Suzanne Ciani, who studied under Buchla in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s at Berkeley, told KPIX:

“I call him the Leonardo da Vinci of electronic music design… It’s no accident that he developed his unique ideas in this crucible of upset and chaos in Berkeley.”

In 1966, LSD advocate and iconic author Ken Kesey purchased some Buchla modules for the old school bus he purchased to truck around his followers, who were known as the Merry Pranksters.

Buchla was also friends with Owsley Stanley, the mastermind behind the Grateful Dead’s sound system. At the time, Stanley—who was a towering figure in the hippie and “Dead Head” movement that was peaking in Northern California in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s—was also known for producing some of the finest and purest LSD to hit the streets at the time.

After finishing his unexpected journey, the technician Curtis went on to completely restore the vintage synth and to thoroughly cleanse the surface of the Buchla, removing all acid residue from the machine.

The Buchla 100 was a strange machine, lacking any keyboard whatsoever and relying on knobs and cords to create sound. Now back in action at Cal State East Bay, the machine is blowing students away with its unique craftsmanship and design.

Either way, Ciani is astonished by the journey that Curtis took while repairing the machine.

“It’s a bit like time travel. If you could go back that would be the way to go there. That is, to share the drugs that everybody took at that time.”

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]


Dolphin Swims Through Louisiana Neighborhood in Aftermath of Hurricane Ida



Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

A Louisiana family was shocked to find a dolphin swimming through their neighborhood in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida.

Amanda Huling and her family were assessing the damage to their neighborhood in Slidell, Louisiana, when they noticed the dolphin swimming through the inundated suburban landscape.

In video shot by Huling, the marine mammal’s dorsal fin can be seen emerging from the water.

“The dolphin was still there as of last night but I am in contact with an organization who is going to be rescuing it within the next few days if it is still there,” Huling told FOX 35.

Ida slammed into the coast of Louisiana this past weekend. The Category 4 hurricane ravaged the power grid of the region, plunging residents of New Orleans and upwards of 1 million homes and businesses in Louisiana and Mississippi into the dark for an indefinite period of time.

Officials have warned that the damage has been so extensive that it could take weeks to repair the power grid, reports Associated Press.

Also in Slidell, a 71-year-old man was attacked by an alligator over the weekend while he was in his flooded shed. The man went missing and is assumed dead, reports WDSU.

Internet users began growing weary last year about the steady stream of stories belonging to a “nature is healing” genre, as people stayed indoors and stories emerged about animals taking back their environs be it in the sea or in our suburbs.

However, these latest events are the surreal realities of a world in which extreme weather events are fast becoming the new normal – disrupting our lives in sometimes predictable, and occasionally shocking and surreal, ways.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading


Mom in LA Suburbs Fights Off Mountain Lion With Bare Hands, Rescues 5-Year-Old Son



Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

A mother in Southern California is being hailed as a hero after rescuing her five-year-old son from an attacking mountain lion.

The little boy was playing outside his home in Calabasas, a city lying west of Los Angeles in the Santa Monica Mountains, when the large cat pounced on him.

The 65-pound (30 kg) mountain lion dragged the boy about 45 yards across the front lawn before the mother acted fast, running out and striking the creature with her bare hands and forcing it to free her son.

“The true hero of this story is his mom because she absolutely saved her son’s life,” California Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesman Captain Patrick Foy told Associated Press on Saturday.

“She ran out of the house and started punching and striking the mountain lion with her bare hands and got him off her son,” Foy added.

The boy sustained significant injuries to his head, neck and upper torso, but is now in stable condition at a hospital in Los Angeles, according to authorities.

The mountain lion was later located and killed by an officer with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, who found the big cat crouching in the bushes with its “ears back and hissing” at the officer shortly after he arrived at the property.

“Due to its behavior and proximity to the attack, the warden believed it was likely the attacking lion and to protect public safety shot and killed it on sight,” the wildlife department noted in its statement.

The mountain lion attack is the first such attack on a human in Los Angeles County since 1995, according to Fish and Wildlife.

The Santa Monica Mountains is a biodiverse region teeming with wildlife such as large raptors, mountain lions, bears, coyote, deer, lizards, and snakes. However, their numbers have rapidly faded in recent years, causing local wildlife authorities to find new ways to manage the region’s endemic species.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading


Video Shows Taliban Taking Joyride in Captured US Blackhawk Helicopter



Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

The rapid fall of Kabul to the Taliban has resulted in a number of surreal sights – from footage of the Islamist group’s fighters exercising at a presidential gym to clips of combatants having a great time on bumper cars at the local fun park.

However, a new video of Taliban members seemingly testing their skills in the cockpit of a commandeered UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter shows the chilling extent to which U.S. wares have fallen into the hands of a group it spent trillions of dollars, and exhaustive resources, to stamp out.

In the new video, shared on Twitter, the front-line utility helicopter can be seen taxiing on the ground at Kandahar Airport in southeastern Afghanistan, moving along the tarmac. It is unclear who exactly was sitting in the cockpit, and the Black Hawk cannot be seen taking off or flying.

It is unlikely that the Taliban have any combatants who are sufficiently trained to fly a UH-60 Black Hawk.

The helicopter, which carries a $6 million price tag, is just a small part of the massive haul that fell into the militant group’s hands after the country’s central government seemingly evaporated on Aug. 14 amid the withdrawal of U.S. and coalition troops.

Some 200,000 firearms, 20,000 Humvees and hundreds of aircraft financed by Washington for the now-defunct Afghan Army are believed to be in the possession of the Taliban.

The firearms include M24 sniper rifles, M18 assault weapons, anti-tank missiles, automatic grenade launchers, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars.

Taliban fighters in the elite Badri 313 Brigade have been seen in propaganda images showing off in uniforms and wielding weaponry meant for the special forces units of the Afghan Army.

The U.S. is known to have purchased 42,000 light tactical vehicles, 9,000 medium tactical vehicles and over 22,000 Humvees between 2003 and 2016.

The White House remains unclear on how much weaponry has fallen into Taliban hands, with National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan admitting last week that the U.S. lacks a “clear picture of just how much missing $83 billion of military inventory” the group has.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading


The Mind Unleashed