Connect with us

Corruption

Indigenous Leader Who Guarded the Amazon Rainforest Killed by Illegal Loggers

“The Bolsonaro government has Indigenous blood on its hands. The increase in violence in Indigenous territories is a direct result of his hateful speeches.”

Published

on

Indigenous Warrior Amazon Rainforest Illegal Loggers
Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

(TMU) — A young indigenous leader was murdered on Friday in the Amazon rainforest in an ambush by illegal loggers that also wounded another member of the Guajajara people in Northern Brazil.

Paulo Paulino Guajajara, 26, was shot in the head during the ambush in the Araribóia Indigenous Reserve, which has come under grave threats from illegal loggers and miners who are trying to steal and exploit indigenous land. Paulo was a prominent land defender and member of the Guardians of the Forest indigenous land defense group.

Fellow Guardian and indigenous leader Laércio Guajajara was hit by two shots that grazed his back and arm during the ambush but he was able to escape, reports Mongabay.

Brazilian pan-indigenous organization APIB, a group representing about 900,000 indigenous people throughout the country, squarely laid the blame on the administration of far-right President Jair Bolsonaro. In a statement quoted by Reuters news agency, APIB said:

“The Bolsonaro government has Indigenous blood on its hands.

The increase in violence in Indigenous territories is a direct result of his hateful speeches and steps taken against our people.”

Federal law enforcement bodies are investigating the case, which also allegedly resulted in a logger being killed, but Paulo’s body still remains missing.

The case will also be investigated by a special technical advisor and a retired Federal Police officer, according to a statement announced by federal indigenous agency FUNAI. In a tweet, Minister of Justice Sergio Moro pledged “to bring those responsible for this serious crime to justice.”

APIB leader Sonia Guajajara blasted the Bolsonaro government’s dismantling of environmental and indigenous agencies, which leaves Brazil’s indigenous nations—many of whom have lacked deeds to their ancestral land since the founding of the country—defenseless when faced with illegal land grabbers. In a Twitter post, Sonia said:

“It’s time to say enough of this institutionalized genocide.”

Bolsonaro and his officials regularly blame environmental laws, activist groups, non-governmental organizations, and indigenous peoples for allegedly hindering Brazil’s economic potential. Following his inauguration last year, the far-right president vowed to reverse protections that ensure that 15 percent of Brazil’s territory is reserved for indigenous tribes.

At the time, Bolsonaro tweeted:

“Let’s integrate these citizens and bring value to all Brazilians.”

While Bolsonaro has yet to implement his most incendiary threats against indigenous peoples, his rabidly racist language has encouraged illegal encroachments on indigenous lands.

The Guajajara indigenous group, one of the country’s largest that numbers about 20,000 people, established the Guardians in 2012 in order to patrol their huge reservation and expel illegal loggers from the reserve. The tiny Awá Guajá indigenous group also lives deep in the forest, and has not made any contact with the outside world.

Speaking to Democracy Now, Amazon Watch program director Christian Poirier explained:

“[The Guajajara are] doing this on behalf of all of humanity, because they are protecting the critically important Amazon forests that sustain our climate, protect our climate, power or, I should say, fuel the rainfall all over Brazil, but also here in this country. In the state of California, rainfall is slackening due to the fact the Amazon is being decimated today.

And the Guardians of the Forest are doing this work, therefore, on behalf of all of us, but without the support that they deserve.

Their rights are enshrined in Brazil’s Constitution—their rights to territory and to their way of life … Yet they have been systematically deprived of these rights.

And what we witnessed today—or, two days ago, with the murder of Paulino, was an example of that, a manifestation of the violence that’s growing in these communities.”

https://twitter.com/Sarah2theSax/status/1190623532537012229

In September, Paulino Guajajara—who leaves behind one son—spoke to Reuters about the dangers inherent in guarding the rainforest from the predatory forces that seek to exploit indigenous land. As he and others prepared to move toward a logging camp at the time, Paulino had said:

“We are protecting our land and the life on it—the animals, the birds, even the tribe who are here, too.

There is so much destruction of nature happening, including trees with wood as hard as steel being cut down and taken away.

I’m scared sometimes, but we have to lift up our heads and act. We are here fighting.

We have to preserve this life for our children’s future.”

By Elias Marat | Creative Commons | TheMindUnleashed.com

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Corruption

Turns Out Schrödinger, the Father of Quantum Physics, Was a Shameless Pedophile

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

Long hailed as one of the fathers of quantum physics, celebrated physicist Erwin Schrödinger is now being reevaluated after damning evidence was published that shows that the scientist was a pedophile and serial “sexual predator.”

Schrödinger, a Nobel Prize-winning Austrian-Irish scientist remembered for his 1935 thought experiment “Schrödinger’s Cat,” was exposed as a pedophile by The Irish Times in a December report detailing his unapologetic record as a serial abuser of young girls and women.

Since the report’s publication, academics and faculties across the globe have been distancing themselves from the physicist and launching petitions to remove his name from their facilities.

The physicist made foundational contributions to quantum theory and is largely responsible for the current craze for quantum computing, but his extracurricular activities have been exposed as being fundamentally exploitative and abusive toward girls and women.

According to 2012 biography Erwin Schrödinger and the Quantum Revolution by John Gribbin, which the Irish Times cited, the physicist became preoccupied with, and groomed, a 14-year-old girl named Itha Junger after becoming her math tutor. Schrödinger, who was middle-aged at the time, impregnated her when she was 17.

That year, Junger became pregnant and resorted to a horrific abortion that left her sterile, leaving the relationship in tatters.

The physicist also kept a record of his sexual exploits, which included being “infatuated” with a 12-year-old girl named Barbara. He only relented from pursuing the child after her family members protested. He later wrote in his diaries that the child was “among the unrequited loves of his life”.

Schrödinger, Life and Thought author Walter Moore noted that the physicist’s scummy attitude towards women “was essentially that of a male supremacist.”

Students and lecturers are now rejecting the scientist. In his adopted country, Ireland, a petition has been launched to change the title of a facility at Dublin’s Trinity University that’s named after him.

 “It seems in bad taste that a modern college such as Trinity – one that holds lectures to both men and women, one that (hopefully) rejects the abuse of women, of young girls or, indeed, of anyone – would honour this man with an entire building,” the petition reads.

“We can acknowledge the great mark Schrodinger has left on science through our study, and this petition does not wish to diminish the impact his lectures or ideas had in physics.”

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading

Corruption

Queen Strips Prince Andrew of All Royal Titles as Child Sex Abuse Trial Looms

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

Britain’s Prince Andrew has been unceremoniously stripped of his military and royal titles, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday, just one day after a Manhattan judge gave the green light to a sexual abuse lawsuit against the disgraced son of the Queen.

Andrew, 61, is now unable to use the title “His Royal Highness” in any official capacity and his other roles as the Duke of York will be distributed among the other members of the House of Buckingham.

“With The Queen’s approval and agreement, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen,” the royal family said in an official statement, reports CNN. “The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”

Prince Andrew faces a civil lawsuit from Virginia Giuffre Roberts, 38, who alleges that she was forced by late financier Jeffrey Epstein and his partner Ghislaine Maxwell to have “disgusting” sex with the duke in London when she 17, a minor under U.S. law. Giuffre claims that Andrew knew at the time that she was underage.

According to her lawsuit, she feared disobeying Epstein and Maxwell due to “their powerful connections, wealth and authority.” Andrew, however, vociferously denies the claim.

The ongoing drama surrounding Andrew has already led to the Queen stripping her middle son of performing royal tasks following his humiliating 2019 interview with the BBC where he attempted to justify his friendship with Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, who was recently found guilty of sex trafficking.

At the time, the prince – a former Royal Navy helicopter pilot who flew missions in the 1982 Malvinas War – was allowed to retain his military titles, which included vice admiral of the Royal Navy and colonel of the Grenadier Guards.

However, Buckingham Palace had faced strong pressure from military groups to strip the Duke of York of those titles.

“We understand that he is your son, but … please do not leave it any longer,” a group of 150 veterans wrote in an open letter to the monarch.

“All of us have served our country and are proud to have done so. For that reason, we are particularly upset and angry that Prince Andrew remains a member of the armed forces and continues to hold military titles,” the veterans added.

“Officers of the British armed forces must adhere to the very highest standards of probity, honesty and honorable conduct. These are standards which Prince Andrew has fallen well short of,” the letter said.

Andrew is likely to face a trial in Manhattan federal court later this year following the court’s Wednesday ruling.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading

Trending

The Mind Unleashed