(TMU) — If you love soaking up the light of the moon, planting a moon garden will enhance the experience with plants that blossom at night. With each moonlit night, the subtle fragrance of the blossoms will fill the air while they glow in the moonlight.
There are quite a few plants with flowers that open at night, and when mixed with silver leafed day bloomers they’ll present a spectacular sight in the moonlight.
Your Moon Garden should be planted in an area that gets good exposure to the moon’s light, essential for lighting up the beauty of your chosen plants. During the periods when the moon is not full, you can use solar lanterns or LED candles to light up your moon garden.
View this post on Instagram
night blooming plants! ⭐🌙 these are flowers that are known to bloom at night, or at dusk! I've always found the very idea of plants flowering at night enchanting 🌟 (btw this was created in print format, and we all know instagram is not very forgiving for anything that's not square shaped!) 🌟 #plants #procreate #botanical #moonflower #plantillustration #ipadpro
These night bloomers will transform your garden when lit up by the moon
- Moonflower: During the day, the white flowers remain shut but at night they open up and release a light lemony scent. A cousin of the Morning Glory, the flower of some species of this climber can be as big as 5 to 6″ in diameter when open.
- Evening Primrose: The pale pink-white flowers open at dusk and release a sweet aroma. A perennial ground-cover that spreads quickly, covering a lot of ground.
View this post on Instagram
My moonflower vine came into bloom for the first time this season the night before the past full moon. One of my favourites: the scent is alluring (sweet vanilla-ish), the texture quite silken to touch and a relative of morning glories (though opening at dusk and closing/falling off come dawn instead). Strawberry plants are also bountiful at this point giving a handful or two each week, though watching rhubarb grow and adapt in this climate has been strange/interesting (might leave it for another year before harvesting). ||| #moonflower #moonflowers #moonflowervine #ipomoeaalba #nightflower #nightflowers #moongarden #nightgarden #flower #flowers
- Night Phlox: Also known as midnight candy, the blooms release a delicious, honey-like fragrance. The plants grow 12- to 14-inches tall and do well in pots as well.
View this post on Instagram
This is surprising, I thought night phlox was flowering than dying, I.e annual, which it looked like initially when flowering ended in summer. I have even uprooted few plants back then, but thought I would experiment…..now the foliage on all the ones I have is greener as in spring and they start flowering again…😆… #mynovembergarden . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #nightphlox #midnightcandy #mygardentoday #greenfingers #potager #permaculture #instaflowers #gardenlife #beautiful #flowerstagram #flowersofinstagram #myhobby #flowers #flowerpower #flowerslovers #floweroftheday #flowermagic #flowerporn #Gardener #gardenerslife #gardenersofinstagram #gardenersworld #Gardentherapy #Flower #worldofflowers #flower #lovemygarden #gardening #kitchengarden
- Evening Stock: This old-fashioned annual is easily grown from seed. The dainty lavender and pink flowers open at dusk and emits a lovely fragrance.
- Angel’s Trumpet: This annual is a fast spreading vine with white trumpet shaped flowers resembling a bell when open.
- Night Gladiolus: This is not a night blooming plant but it’s creamy yellow flowers spicy scent is strongest at night.
Climbers like the Moonflower need a support like a trellis to grow on. Good support will encourage full blooming.
Try these excellent day bloomers that also catch the moonlight to complement the night-bloomers
- Dusty Millers: The silvery-grey, fern-like foliage are low maintenance and the plant is lovely to use as an edge or border around the garden.
- Silver Thyme: The lemon-scented leaves of this thyme plant are green edged with silver and the blooms are pale lavender.
- Lamb’s Ears: This ornamental has soft and fuzzy leaves in a pale green covered in silver fuzz. It spreads very quickly and will take over the garden if you don’t keep it in check.
- Mugwort (Artemesia): A silvery-green herb with a lovely smells amazing. It is said to have a number of magical uses.
- Silver Sage: This strain of sage has silver and fuzzy leaves, arranged in a rosette.
- White vegetables will add a surprise element to your moon garden. Try Alba eggplants, Baby Boo or Lumina pumpkins, and the pumpkins will make great Halloween decorations.
Herbs with lunar connections
- Camphor: Known to get rid of negative energy. Use for protection or purification such as clearing old energy from a new home. Also useful for cleaning crystals and ritual tools and space.
- Gardenia: A beautiful and fragrant flower, connected to peace and harmony, it keeps conflict at bay and protects from outside influences. Planted around the perimeter of your yard or near your doors to keep negative people away.
- Jasmine: The sensuous scent is often used in perfumes. It is the flower of attraction and its heady fragrance arouses passion and sensuality.
- Moonwort: Associated with dreams and intuition. Moonwort is useful in any spell work relating to lunar connections.
- Sandalwood: Associated with healing and purification, this fragrant wood is also used for protection magic and is used in religious ceremonies and rituals worldwide.
- Willow: Planted near your home, a Willow will help guard against danger such as natural disasters from storms and flooding.
- Water Lily: Associated with the clarity of desire, direction and the creative process. Creative and artistic souls will benefit having water lilies in their space
To complete your garden, add comfortable seating where you and yours can relax and enjoy your magical Moon Garden.
Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]