Connect with us

News

65,000 People Flee Wuhan Hours After Coronavirus Lockdown Lifted

The lockdown was likely a traumatizing experience.

Avatar

Published

on

Wuhan Coronavirus Lockdown Lifted
Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

(TMU) — The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus was first detected, has been on lockdown for two and a half months with no one able to enter or leave. When the city finally reopened on Wednesday, many residents decided to flee the region instead of getting back to work or back to their social lives.

The Associated Press reports that about 65,000 people fled the city as soon as the lockdown ended.

According to Bloomberg, people visiting Wuhan over the Lunar New Year vacation who found themselves stuck in the city as the outbreak grew and Hubei province was locked down were finally able to leave. Among those leaving were the tens of thousands of medical workers from across China who travelled to the province to help over the course of the lockdown.

Thousands of travelers rushed to train stations and airports to escape the city where they experienced 11 weeks on lockdown. The roads leading outside of the city were also packed with an unusual amount of traffic.

Precautions have been taken on flights as airlines start to fly people out of Wuhan for the first time since the city was locked down.

According to NoosaNews, a chief flight attendant said that crews will wear goggles, masks, and gloves throughout all of their flights.

Before leaving the city, residents of Wuhan are being required to download a mandatory phone app that is being used to track whether or not they are healthy and if they have come into contact with the novel coronavirus.

Some Chinese cities have implemented their own security measures for residents traveling from Wuhan. For example, in Beijing officials are requiring anyone who is entering the city from Wuhan to take two health screenings and submit to a 14-day quarantine at an “approved site.” Many other cities throughout the country have implemented similar protocols for travelers coming from Wuhan.

The lockdown was likely a traumatizing experience for many of the city’s residents who were trapped indoors at the hands of a technologically advanced police state. After midnight passed on the last day of the lockdown, celebrations and cheering were heard throughout the city and residents were seen singling and dancing in the streets. Buildings and skyscrapers all over Wuhan were lit up with light shows and animations, which paid tribute to the city’s medical workers.

Now that everyone is getting back to work, many new precautions are in place throughout the city including health checks before entering buildings and even more surveillance than the region had before. All schools and many businesses throughout the city are still closed but grocery stores and other life sustaining businesses that were previously shuttered have reopened.

Benjamin Cowling, a professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at Hong Kong University, said that officials will consider bringing back the lockdown if there is a deadly second wave of the virus

“I think China is keeping a close eye on COVID-19 detections and may need to tune the social distancing measures that are needed to keep COVID-19 contained. For now, it may be OK to relax some measures, but those measures should be tightened if case numbers pick up,” Cowling said, according to the Toronto Sun.

It is not entirely clear how prevalent the virus still is in Wuhan, or in China in general, because official numbers from the government have been untrustworthy, as they have been around the world. According to Newsweek, there could be tens of thousands of coronavirus deaths in China based on a rise in the number of cremations.

By John Vibes | Creative Commons | TheMindUnleashed.com

News

Adam Toledo: Chicago Police Video Shows 13-Year-Old’s Hands Were Up When Cops Shot Him

Elias Marat

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

The Chicago Police Department has released gruesome footage depicting the moment that police officers fatally shot 13-year-old Adam Toledo while his hands were up.

In new bodycam footage from the March 29 slaying, an officer pursuing Toledo can be heard shouting at the young boy to show his “f*cking hands” before shooting him a single time, leaving the boy covered in blood and gasping for air.

While the officer can be heard shouting “drop it,” the teenager appeared to have empty hands when he raised his arms in the moment before he was shot. Video also shows officers discovering a handgun near the scene.

Adam was later pronounced dead at the scene.

The video released Thursday by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability the footage from the officer who shot Toledo, along with 16 other body-warn camera video clips, two recordings of 911 calls, an incident report, and a response report, along with other materials.

The mother of Adam, Elizabeth Toledo, reported the boy one week prior to the shooting, although he did return hom on March 27 before leaving that night, reports WBEZ.  Because Adam did not have any form of identification, the family wasn’t informed by police about his death until March 31. In a GoFundMe page set up by Elizabeth, it was noted that one of Adam’s “dreams was to become a police officer.”

“It weighs heavy on our hearts to be planning our last goodbyes instead of watching him grow up and live out those dreams,” the family noted on the page.

The child has been described as having a “big imagination” and was a fan of children’s shows and zombie movies.

“Adam was really into zombies. And the zombie apocalypse. He even had this zombie apocalypse bag packed and ready to go. Some of his favorite movies and TV shows were ‘Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,’ ‘Ghostbusters,’ ‘SpongeBob SquarePants,’ ‘Toy Story,’ ‘Cars,’ ‘The Walking Dead,’” Elizabeth told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has appealed for calm over the release of the gruesome footage while businesses in the area have boarded up their windows in anticipation of large protests.

“We live in a city that is traumatized by a long history of police violence and misconduct,” the mayor told reporters. “So while we don’t have enough information to be the judge and jury of this particular situation, it is certainly understandable why so many of our residents are feeling that all too familiar surge of outrage and pain.”

The release of the video comes amid continuing anger and grief over the April 11 shooting of Daunte Wright by an officer in a Minneapolis suburb.

It also comes as authorities fear a new wave of protests as communities await the outcome of the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis Police officer accused of killing George Floyd last May after kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds.

Continue Reading

Music

Lil Nas X Song Is #1 In Saudi Arabia, Where Homosexuality Is Illegal Under Sharia Law

Elias Marat

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

Lil Nas X has been on top of the world for weeks now, whether it’s living rent-free in the heads of homophobes or topping the Billboard charts after his smash hit “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” dominated playlists.

And ironically, the anthem has become the most-played song in Saudi Arabia, the conservative kingdom where open expressions of same-sex love and even private acts of gay sex are punishable by death.

The song, whose video features the artist giving Satan himself a lap dance have dominated news conversations all over the globe, smashed through to the top of the Billboard Global 200, which ranks top tracks in over 200 territories, on Monday.

According to Apple Music, the song is also leading Saudi Arabia’s top 100 charts as the most-played song in the country.

Apparently overjoyed by the ranking, Lil Nas X tweeted: “WE NUMBER 1 IN SAUDI ARABIA WTF LETS GOOOO”

The autocratic kingdom, which has long been governed by a strict yet uncodified interpretation of Sharia law, has an atrocious record on LGBTQ rights and classifies homosexuality as a variety of extremism. N many circumstances, gay sex is punishable by death.

As the Human Dignity Trust explains, “The punishment varies depending on the circumstances: married men and interfaith sex are punished with the death penalty, while non-married men are punished with flogging. Sharia law principles underpinning the criminal law in Saudi Arabia also impose strict dress codes that impact on the gender expression of transgender people.”

However, this does not mean that Saudi citizens abstain from these “illicit” acts. As one fan wrote on Twitter: Period!!!! Let’s correct the narrative about the Middle East! Shoutout Saudi Arabia.”

However, another user responded: “I lived in Saudi Arabia my whole [life] and if I come out I will literally get stoned and people will be happy about it, saying it’s a ‘narrative’ doesn’t help anyone in the contrary, the middle IS homophobic and change NEEDS to happen.”

Continue Reading

Corruption

Cop Who ‘Accidentally’ Killed Daunte Wright Arrested on 2nd-Degree Manslaughter Charges

Elias Marat

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

The former Minnesota cop who shot and killed Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old unarmed Black man, during a traffic stop will now face charges of second-degree manslaughter, a prosecutor announced on Wednesday.

The brutal killing of Wright, which comes amid the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for last May’s killing of George Floyd, threatens to spark a new round of nationwide protests against police brutality and discriminatory policing.

On Wednesday, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput confirmed that Potter, a 26-year veteran of the Brooklyn Center Police Department, would be charged.

On Wednesday morning, agents with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension arrested Potter, the bureau announced in a statement.

Potter was taken into custody in St. Paul and will be booked at Hennepin County jail.

On Tuesday, Potter resigned as demands for justice for Wright reverberated nationwide. Her resignation coincided with that of the city’s former police chief, who claims that Potter accidentally grabbed her Glock when she thought she was reaching for her Taser during the Sunday traffic stop.

Wright’s family and attorneys have rejected the claim that Wright’s death was merely the result of an “accident” and are demanding accountability and sweeping reforms of policing in Minnesota.

Potter could face up to 10 years in prison along with a $20,000 fine, per Minnesota law.

“While we appreciate that the district attorney is pursuing justice for Daunte, no conviction can give the Wright family their loved one back,” said Wright family attorney Ben Crump in a statement.

“This was no accident. This was an intentional, deliberate and unlawful use of force,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending