Connect with us

Corruption

Four cops face 10 years in jail after video shows them beating man they said died of heart attack

He was later exposed as having died after being savagely beaten and tased for four and a half minutes before being deprived of medical assistance.

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

(TMU) –  Four police officers in Shreveport, Louisiana, are facing a possible decade behind bars after being charged with negligent homicide and malfeasance in the death of a mentally ill man whom they initially claimed died from a heart attack, but was later exposed as having died after being savagely beaten and tased for four and a half minutes before being deprived of medical assistance.

The four officers with the Shreveport Police Department — Brian Ross, Treona McCarter, James LeClare and D’Marea Johnson — were charged on Friday for their role in the April 5 death of Tommie Dale McGlothen Jr., 44, who died in police custody during an arrest attempt.

Caddo Parish coroner Dr. Todd Thoma determined that McGlothen’s death “was preventable” because the officers should have determined that he urgently needed medical treatment after they beat him, according to the district attorney’s office.

When McGlothen’s family members went to see his body, they noticed that his entire right side of the face was swollen and he also had a broken jaw. However, police maintained that he had died of a heart attack.

Police had three encounters with McGlothen on April 5, and in each case he “exhibited signs he was a mental patient in need of medical treatment,” prosecutors said.

Witnesses of the third, fatal encounter say that police had been called after McGlothen fought with a neighbor, whose driveway he had blocked before following the homeowner indoors while mumbling incoherently and showing clear signs of mental distress and paranoia. According to family lawyers, he had been previously diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and depression.

Witnesses claim that McGlothen was pacing up and down the street and appeared to be “thrown off in his head and not acting mentally right,” reports KSLA.

When officers arrived, they began using mace, nightsticks and tasers on McGlothen to subdue him. In cellphone video of the incident, officers can be seen forcing a screaming McGlothen to the ground while punching and kicking him repeatedly. The officers also sat on him, shocked him with a stun gun, and beat his legs with a baton before slamming him against their squad car. The brawl lasted at least four-and-a-half minutes.

The officers then held McGlothen in their car for 48 minutes before realizing that he wasn’t breathing. McGlothen was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly afterwards.

According to the county coroner’s office, McGlothen was “not a candidate for incarceration” due to his medical condition, while the officers’ wanton use of excessive force was a crucial factor McGlothen’s death from so-called “excited delirium.” The coroner also noted that his death was “possibly preventable.”

When family members demanded an investigation of the arrest, the Shreveport Police Department failed to submit an investigative report to Caddo Parish District Attorney James Stewart until May 29.

At that point, the district attorney found that the report they filed was “missing reports, statements, downloads and other vital information essential to conduct a thorough and complete review,” indicating a clear sign to cover the incident up. The officers still remained on duty during the investigation.

However, on June 8, the cellphone video footage of the incident emerged, showing the nearly five-minute struggle that led to McGlothen’s death.

In a June statement, District Attorney Stewart wrote that he believed there was clear evidence the officers had used excessive force, violated the department’s policy on the use of tasers, and failed to call for medical assistance when McGlothen was clearly unconscious.

A Caddo Parish Grand Jury indicted the officers on charges of negligent homicide and malfeasance. On Friday, the officers turned themselves in for arrest before they were each individually released on a $20,000 bond.

The officers now face up to 10 years in prison if they are convicted on both counts.

“I just appreciate the work the D.A. has done in bringing justice for my father,” McGlothen’s son, Tommie McGlothen III, said.

James Carter, a lawyer for McGlothen’s family, said that the case is a tragic reflection of how people with mental disorders are treated by police.

“It’s just a sad situation how the mentally disabled are dealt with and how law enforcement, when they have notification of these matters, act abusively and use excessive force,” Mr. Carter told the New York Times.

The move to indict the officers was “only one step toward justice,” he added.

“The family has worked very hard,” Carter said. “They are obviously exhausted but at the same time have a sense of jubilance. But there’s no mistake about it — there’s still a long way to go on this matter.”

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Corruption

Prison Guard Who Had Sex With Inmate In Front Of 11 Prisoners Is Now Behind Bars

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

A prison guard in California now finds herself behind bars after she was caught having sexual relations with an inmate – in one case, performing the act in full view of 11 other prisoners.

Former Fresno County correctional officer Tina Gonzalez, 26, was arrested last May following an investigation by the vice unit of the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office’s and its internal affairs division.

Gonzalez, who worked as a prison guard from 2016 to 2019, was investigated after authorities were tipped off that an inmate was having sex with a prison guard who had also smuggled in a phone, reports the Fresno Bee.

In one case, Gonzalez even cut a hole in the pants of her uniform to allow easier access during sexual acts with the unnamed prisoner at Fresno County Jail.

Gonzalez was also accused of having sex in full view of 11 inmates, an act that her former boss says “is something only a depraved mind can come up with.”

Assistant Sheriff Steve McComas, who once supervised the unit Gonzalez belonged to, said that in his entire career of 26 years he has witnessed some “pretty disgusting things” but none as bad as Gonzalez’s conduct.

“She took an oath which she betrayed and in doing so endangered her co-workers’ lives,” McComas said.

“But she has shown no remorse,” he added. “She continually calls and has sexually explicit conversations with the inmate in question and boasts about the crimes she carried out.”

Gonzalez pleaded no contest in April to one count of sexual activity by a detention facility employee with a consenting confined adult, one count of possession of drugs or an alcoholic beverage in a jail facility and a misdemeanor count of possession of cellular device with intent to deliver to an inmate.

When she was being sentenced, Judge Michael Idiart decried her acts as “terrible, stupid” and noted that her career had been “ruined.”

“But I also believe that people can redeem themselves and you have the rest of your life to do that,” the judge added. “Good luck.”

Gonzalez is now serving her sentence of seven months in county jail to be followed by two years of probation.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading

Corruption

Judge Orders New Trove of Secret Ghislaine Maxwell Files to Be Unsealed This Month

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

A large trove of secretive files about Ghislaine Maxwell will be unsealed this month, including those shedding light on her relationship with disgraced late financier Jeffrey Epstein, a judge ruled on Thursday.

The documents will include details on her finances, as well as “funding received from the Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Foundation,” according to court records.

The documents are also believed to detail Maxwell’s extensive connections with powerful men such as Prince Andrew of the British royal family, reports the Daily Mail.

It has long been well-known that Epstein and Maxwell associated with both Clinton and former President Donald Trump. Clinton also reportedly met with accused Maxwell for an “intimate” dinner in 2014.

The documents are a part were filed by Epstein accuser and former “sex slave” Virginia Roberts Giuffre in a 2015 civil lawsuit against Maxwell and must be released in mid-July, Judge Loretta Preska ruled in Thursday’s telephone hearing.

Giuffre sued Maxwell for defamation after she was accused by the British socialite of fabricating the sexual abuse allegations against her and Epstein in the lawsuit, which has since been settled.

Last July, a deposition by Giuffre was unsealed. In the deposition, Giuffre went into detail about alleged “constant” orgies that Maxwell and the late pedophile engaged in on Epstein’s private Caribbean island.

“There’s just a blur of so many girls,” Giuffre explained in the 2015 deposition.

“There were blondes, there were brunettes, there were redheads,” she continued. “They were all beautiful girls. I would say the ages ranged between 15 and 21.”

The island was a place where orgies were a constant thing that took place. And again, it’s impossible to know how many,” Giuffre said, noting that she was “100 percent certain” that Maxwell took part in sexual acts with the girls.

Maxwell is accused of grooming multiple minors to engage in sex acts with Epstein, her ex-boyfriend, by befriending them to ask them about their lives and families while building friendships with the young girls alongside Epstein by taking their victims on social outings or out shopping in the 1990s and 2000s.

Maxwell has been detained at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, New York, pending trial.

Her five appeals to be released from jail have all been rejected.

Epstein, 66, was found dead in a lone cell in the special housing unit (SHU) of a federal Manhattan prison in New York City while facing a potential prison sentence of up to 45 years on charges of pedophilia and sex trafficking.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading

Corruption

2 More Catholic Churches in Canada Burned as Third Mass Gravesite for Indigenous Kids Found

Published

on

Like this article? Get the latest from The Mind Unleashed in your inbox. Sign up right here.

An additional two Catholic churches have been the target of likely arson in Canada as anger continues to grow in the aftermath of the discovery of over 1,000 human remains belonging to Indigenous children.

The news coincides with the discovery of a third site where 182 unmarked graves were located near a discovered near a residential school in British Columbia’s interior.

Early Wednesday morning, firefighters were dispatched to respond to a fire at St. Jean Baptiste Parish in Morinville, Alberta, which was basically gutted by the blaze.

“The fire was already fully involved from the basement when the first fire crews got here,” Morinville’s infrastructure general manager Iain Bushell told CTV News. “They entered the building but there was already collapse occurring on the inside of the church so they backed out and it’s been a defensive or exterior fire fight ever since.”

Police officials have described the blaze as “suspicious.”

Roughly an hour later, a fire was also reported at the Catholic St. Kateri Tekakwitha Church in Sipekne’katik First Nation in Nova Scotia, reports CBC.

At least seven churches, nearly all Catholic, have come under apparent arson attacks throughout Canada in recent weeks. Activists and Indigenous advocates have also defaced Catholic churches with bloody red hand and foot prints, while demonstrations have also been staged involving stuffed animal and the slogan “we were children.”

While it remains unclear what precisely caused the fires, they are believed to be linked to the recent discovery of mass graves and unmarked graves containing over 1,000 human remains near Catholic-run residential schools for First Nations children.

The discovery came just few weeks after the grim discovery of 215 Indigenous children’s bodied by the Tk’emlúps te Secwe̓pemc First Nation in a mass grave at the site of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Colombia.

Also last month, the Cowessess First Nation in Saskatchewan announced its discovery of 751 unmarked graves near the site of the former Marieval Indian Residential School, which operated from 1899 to 1997 in the area.

 Another site with 182 unmarked graves was announced Wednesday after an investigation undertaken by the community of ʔaq’am, near Cranbrook, British Columbia.

About 150,000 First Nations children were forcibly separated from their families and communities and forced to attend the religious schools which were established in the 19th century to assimilate Indigenous children into the Anglo settler-colonial culture of Canada.

Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission has confirmed that large amounts of Indigenous children fled such residential schools or died there, their whereabouts unknown. Former students have also testified to the horrific sexual, mental and physical abuse they suffered while enrolled at the schools. Myriad students died from preventable diseases that rapidly spread in unsanitary conditions, as well as in accidents and fires. Others disappeared when trying to escape. The Commission has denounced the schools for institutionalizing child neglect and for being organs of “cultural genocide.”

Indigenous groups and Canadian politicians are also demanding an apology from the Catholic Church – specifically Pope Francis. Activists have also rejected Canada Day celebrations this year to highlight the anti-Indigenous atrocities that the founding of the North American country entailed.

Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]

Continue Reading

Trending

The Mind Unleashed