According to a spokeswoman for the family, the condition of an 8-year-old child who was shot during the Highland Park parade has been upgraded from ‘critical’ to ‘serious’ as of Friday.
A family representative said on Thursday that Zion Elementary School District 6 Superintendent Dr. Keely Roberts and her twin kids, Cooper and Luke, aged 8 years old, were among those shot during Highland Park’s Fourth of July parade on Monday.
According to a statement sent by his family via a spokesman on Friday, Anthony Loizzi, Cooper is now paralyzed from the waist down; nevertheless, his status has been improved to severe after having previously been listed as critical. It”s “a very positive development,” he says.
Anthony said that Cooper is now awake for the first time since the assault and that he has been taken off of the ventilator that he was using since he was unable to breathe on his own. The boy, who is now 8 years old, has been requesting to see his twin brother Luke as well as his dog George.
Tony Loizzi, a friend of the family and Keely Roberts’s coworker, stated the following: “He’s undergone several surgeries since Monday, including one last night in which doctors were finally able to close up his belly.”
Luke has been discharged from the hospital after receiving treatment for shrapnel wounds to a leg. He is now recovering at home with his elder sisters, who were not present at the march and are not hurt.
A GoFundMe account has been created by relatives and friends to assist with financial obligations associated with medical care. A spokesperson said the youngster is paralyzed from the waist down on Thursday evening. According to a spokeswoman for the family, Cooper’s favorite sport is baseball, and he is a devoted supporter of the Milwaukee Brewers.
Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]