Every item and concept in the world is a double-edged sword. Food can either nourish someone or it can contribute to their demise. A knife could be used to open a box, or it could serve a nefarious purpose and be the tool used in a murder. Similarly, advertisements may educate and inspire, or they can be pervasive and obnoxious (which is most often the case). Fortunately for us all, the following 30+ social issue ads are the insightful, compelling kind.
Each unique advertisement employs an effective advertising strategy to capture viewers’ attention. Rather than strive to sell a product, however, the ads promote seek to promote a concept with the ultimate goal being to propel social change. As Bored Panda points out, many of the ads appeal to people’s emotions, as studies have shown the best way to inspire action is to get them to empathize with a situation, person or cause.
Many of the advertisements were funded by specific organizations with outlined causes. Others were paid for by companies that seek to “raise the bar” when it comes to consumerism. All have something in common, though, and that is the desire to inform people about prevalent issues so a better world may be created for future generations. If you think the world could use more insightful advertisements that raise awareness about global issues, please share this compilation.
Following are 40 clever social issue advertisements that will definitely make you think:
1) Torture Victims Are People Just Like You And Me
2) Stop The Violence: Don’t Drink And Drive
3) Premature Ending: “If you smoke, statistically your story will end 15% before it should.”
4) World Wide Fund For Nature: Frightening vs. More Frightening
5) Your Skin Color Shouldn’t Dictate Your Future
7) Elm Grove Police Department: Slower Is Better
8) Save Paper – Save The Planet
9) Air Pollution Kills 60,000 People A Year
10) Liking Isn’t Helping. Be A Volunteer. Change A Life.
11) Bird Conservation: If You Don’t Pick It Up They Will
12) What We See When You Smoke
13) Animal Anti-Cruelty League: That’s Not A Football
14) Bangalore Traffic Police: Don’t Talk While Driving
15) Child Soldiers: It’s Not Happening Here, But It’s Happening Now
16) Censorship Tells The Wrong Story
17) Distracted Driving: Think Of Both Sides
18) Every 60 Seconds a Species Dies Out. Each Minute Counts
19) Innocence In Danger: Where’s The Pedophile?
20) Sexual Predators Can Hide In Your Child’s Smartphone
21) Smoking Causes Premature Aging
22) You’re Not A Sketch. Say No To Anorexia
23) Neglected Children Are Made To Feel Invisible. Stop Child Abuse Now
24) Global Action In The Interest of Animals: Plastic Bags Kill
25) What Goes Around Comes Around. Keep The Sea Clean
26) Tailgating Isn’t Worth It. Give Trucks Room
27) Sea Shepherd Conservation Society: When You See A Tuna, Think Panda
28) Sleepiness Is Stronger Than You. Don’t Drive Sleepy
29) See how easy feeding the hungry can be?
30) Causing Cancer By Yourself
31) Deforestation And The Air We Breathe: Before It’s Too Late
32) For The Homeless, Every Day Is A Struggle
33) The Prevention Beer Mug: Please Don’t Lose Control Over Your Drinking
34) One Child Is Holding Something That’s Been Banned In America To Protect Them. Guess Which One?
35) Breast Cancer Awareness Bra
36) What Goes Around Comes Around: Stop The Iraq War
37) UN Women: Auto-Complete Shows Perceptions Of Women
38) Don’t Buy Exotic Animal Souvenirs
39) Animal Abuse And Shelters: Same Pet, Different Owner
40) Buckle up. Stay alive
Typos, corrections and/or news tips? Email us at [email protected]